Monday, April 3, 2017

Just Keep Sipping...

            Dory says, "Just keep swimming." I hate swimming. I hate water. I hate things that swim in the water. In fact, if Dory wasn't so stinking cute I'd probably dislike her too. However, I DO love sipping. Coffee primarily. So, I say, "Just keep sipping." (You may insert drink of choice if you don't like coffee. I don't have the time to try to understand why that is.)
       There are two reasons you will almost always find me with a mug of coffee in hand. First, I love coffee. LOVE it. Second, is the pause. For example, if I am about to blurt something out I shouldn't, I take a sip of coffee. If I need a "come to Jesus" moment before addressing the kiddos, I take a sip of coffee. If I'm processing a situation or decision, I take a sip of coffee. I’m not saying that I’m addicted to coffee. (Although, I might be.) What I am saying is that I am drawn to what happens during the pause. It's in the pausing that I am able to take a much needed breath, reflect, and grab hold of peace.  
       Life can be crazy, and at times, chaotic. I love our life! It is a loud environment with 6 kids living and learning all around. You can imagine how often I have to pause in a day! However, it's the peace that we need to pursue in the pause that is key. Peace isn’t the absence of chaos, but the ability to maintain a calmness on the inside. Notice I didn't say outside! We should aim for an outward expression of an inward experience, but that doesn't always happen. Do you know what does happen? My face goes rogue, and betrays my brain! I don't know if this happens to you, but the outward expression often reflects the inward "What the...!" Some of you may have seen this face. For that, I'm sorry. I'm working on that. (Another reason to just keep sipping!) 
       Peace is important. Peace helps sustain us in the midst of madness; it can help release the grip of worry, and it can also help pave the way for joy in less than joyful circumstances. It's obvious that I enjoy coffee, but it’s the pause that it forces me to take that I really love. The peace, I had to learn to tap into. I'm still learning! Coffee doesn't bring the peace, only the pause. God is who brings the peace. After all, He IS peace. 
       We all know what it feels like to be swept away by chaos, worry, discontentment, grief, unforgiveness or even fear. It's awful! All of these are thieves of peace. Storms and challenges are inevitable and unavoidable. So, how great would it be to be able to navigate through those seasons with confidence, courage, and grace?! Regardless of what wave you're riding, seek out peace. It may be that peace lies just on the other side of the storm, so hang in there. Life is an incredible journey with high points, and low. So, breathe deep, shine bright, and if you like coffee, just keep sipping!


Until next time, Beautiful.

Love me some lattes!


 London Fog and my man.
(I do sometimes reach for tea. Don't tell coffee.)

2 comments: