Monday, April 17, 2017

Searching For Substance

       It was a day like any other. I woke up, and began my daily routine. As I went about my day, the feeling that something was missing kept nagging me. I couldn't quite figure out what it was, until it hit me. It was ME! I was missing! In that moment, I realized that in the midst of the mundane, the free-spirited lady who laughed at everything, and who clumsily (and I do mean clumsily) danced through life was gone! What I did find was a woman that was great at getting up, and doing the "Mom thing", the "Wife thing", the "Homeschool thing", and any other list of things that needed to be done. Those things are great, but who was the woman behind the motions? I realized that morning that I had gotten so caught up in "doing" life, that I forgot about the "being" aspect of living. My search for substance was on!
       Maybe I'm the only one who has ever dealt with this, but I'm guessing not. Too often our identity gets wrapped up in our surroundings and/or tasks. Sometimes it seems to disappear entirely. Who we are begins to take a backseat to what we are, or what we want to become. The sexiest woman, the smartest woman, the independent woman, the perfect wife, the best mother, the funniest friend - these are just a few of the definitions we as women sometimes find ourselves wanting. Shoot! I want to be ALL of these things! (Come on, you know you do, too) None of which are bad, however the depth of our identity needs to run deeper than abstract definitions. We NEED to have substance. Who we are needs to be absolute. It is what grounds us when what we are changes. When our beauty fades, our jokes fall flat, or our failures seem to outshine our victories, who we are is what's left.
       Our creator is very specific about who He's created us to be. He has knitted us together with intent and purpose placing potential for greatness within each of us. (More on that next week!) When we are secure in who we are, we can approach what we were created to do with confidence. Your favorites, hobbies, interests, and career choices are preferences that make you unique. It's who you are that threads those things together forming strength and character. There is a beauty that emerges when the one who defines you is the One who designed you. Ladies, let's be known for such strength and beauty! Let's let go of what we think we should be, and grab hold of who we are meant to be. 
         I now know who I am. I am loved, I am redeemed; I am His. That fierce and free-spirited woman was never "gone." I had just simply misplaced her. It happens. If you feel as if you've been temporarily misplaced, keep searching; keep praying. You'll find her. She's in there. May we know who we are, be the women we were intended to be, and succeed in all we are meant to do!

Until next time, Beautiful.

*UPDATE*

She's back...

And clumsier than ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment